Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Valuable life lessons...

So ya... this is my third day in PEI or as the locals like to call it: ``the island``. It has been pretty sweet so far. My legs hurt from walking but that`s okay. Getting to work is a bit of a walk but walking home is always the longest because work drains you... even tho i didn`t get much work today... we`re still waiting on computers but everyone there is pretty cool... nothing much to say.

I`ve never really had to worry about what I`ll be eating for dinner up until now. It kinda sux to have to worry about food. It kinda sucks not having a car.... It also kinda sucks to have to go to the groceries... on foot... and then walk back with the groceries... D:

Life lessons are great tho... i haven`t had to worry about anything like this before and it`s quite an eye opener. of course, i could just eat dinner outside every night but that defeats the whole purpose of being in PEI... doesn`t it.

I was looking around the supermarket for stuff to cook... but not just random stuff... i of course looked on the trusty internet for recipes and decided after having just 2 slices of bread with peanut butter the night before that i had to have something a little more satisfying to my belly. I decided to make fettucini alfredo! First i needed some ingredients tho...

Who would`ve known that parmesan was so rare and expensive.... especially when you get it in block form. I decided to go with grated version which cost significantly less so it wasn`t too bad. Getting the hang of the supermarket was kinda weird as i didn`t know where anything was so i ended up going around the whole place several times before i could even find some butter which was tucked in the corner somewhere. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many asian people at the supermarket. I mean even if i count 10 asian people as a lot it doesn`t matter... that`s a lot! I ended up getting wayyyyy too many things from the supermarket and i had to carry it home... my arms were dead... quite dead.... I haven`t had to worry about how much stuff i got from the market before... D:

By the time I got home it was already 8 oclock or so and i was starving to death... so i decided to try out my recipe... after much work and awesome improvisation by me... (i added mushrooms and milk and lime) I had a meal ready to go! of course i didn`t realize it took so long to boil water... and by the time everything was done it was almost 9:30 which was kinda sad... but considering it was my first ever cooked meal... it may not be so bad after all! I took note of this achievement and kept a record of my awesome creation via webcam! (my lost luggage has my effing camera batteries)



and there is my pride and joy.... see i bought milk as well... effing heavy... i had 4 frigging bags worth of groceries! poor arms of mine... anyhoo just to add extra proof:



it was quite a lot... i have left overs too... i think i`ll try making chicken alfredo... yummmm... i bought a crap load of chicken as well! maybe fried chicken! Next time i make alfredo i`ll turn down the heat a bit and not cook it for so long... the sauce was a little too thick. Life lessons are awesome... i`m a little more appreciative for the meals that are prepared for me... it`s quite a chore.... next time i`ll set my pot of water to boil before anything else since it takes surprisingly long....

I swear i`ll have some drawings this week... i promise! and some more pictures of course... maybe drawings tomorrow! since i have left over alfredo for dinner tomorrow and i won`t be so lost in the supermarket... i think i`m gonna buy some juice and something... i can`t remember what it was now... but something... anyhoo... i better sleep i was so sleepy at work today... and it seems i`m only gonna be sleeping a half hour earlier than yesterday D:

6 comments:

ben said...

poor you! puts things into perspective though. i gotta do the walking thing too this summer. once i get to the transit station, it's all good. the walk is fine but not with groceries. i feel your pain... didn't lose my luggage but my cell went kaput. hope they find your stuff! get a little cart thing... or keep the one from the store - it's worth the quarter/loonie. they got lots of carts around here cause of all the homeless people downtown.

Andrew Manzanares said...

haha man good job on the alfredo! so are any of those 7 asian people you saw potential summer flings? talk to me....

Lisa Tao said...

lol uve never cooked before this??
thats kinda sad.
and never walked home with groceries before either???
lucky guy ):

Garrett Hanna said...

Alvin man. You're a trooper. Fetucinni Alfredo with lime??? You adventurous soul you...

Alvin Aquino said...

haha thanks for the comments guys... there'll be more posts for sure... i've got more stories... especially with what i have planned for dinner tonight!

Lettie Lo said...

haha wow yay!!!!!!!!!!!! dammm
was fun isnt it! we had to do this tooo walking with groceries!! and liquid is the heaviest thing in teh world! juices, milks......... and yes white pasta sauce is sooo expensive
rice and stir fry i find is the easiest and cheapest meal